The 2018 SMSNA Research Grants submission is now closed.
The Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA) is now accepting applications for the SMSNA Pfizer Fellowship in Men’s Health. The purpose of the fellowship program is to support clinical and/or basic research in men’s sexual health and foster development of expertise in the field of men’s health. The funding is intended to supplement post-doctoral research activities and conference participation to present those activities.
The maximum award amount is $25,000.
- Applications will be accepted only from SMSNA members in good standing, who must be in compliance with the SMSNA Disclosure Policy.
- Applications will be accepted from post-docs in training.
- Proof of institutional support for salaries and benefits should be provided at the time of application (letter from Department Chair, Dean or Designated Institutional Officer).
- For MD’s, a medical license valid in the United States or Canada and proof of satisfactory completion of residency training are required.
- For all human Research, IRB number and approval must be documented. Pre- clinical animal research should be reviewed and approved by the ACAR at funding institution.
Distribution of Funds
Awards will be paid to the sponsoring institution (medical school, hospital, university). Awards will not be paid directly to the successful applicant or mentor. Funds will be payable in two annual installments available for distribution on or about July 1, 2018 and January 1, 2019. The award term is July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019. The SMSNA Foundation does not withhold taxes from the stipends (i.e., federal withholding, social security, local or state taxes, etc.). It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that appropriate federal and local taxes are accounted for.
Allowable expenses include: research supplies, statistical consultation, and logistical support for the assessment and care of research subjects or animals. All awards must be used for the direct expenses of the program and may not be used to cover a salary for a position or activities that bill patient services. Overhead expenses are not allowable.
Applicants must submit a single PDF application package including the documentation listed below, in the order listed, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A completed application form by the specified deadline
- Biosketch and Career Plan (five-page limit)
- Abstract (300 words limit)
- A detailed description of the research question divided into 4 sections, addressing 1) the specific aims of the research, 2) the background of the problem being addressed, 3) preliminary data, and 4) an outline of the proposed investigation including potential alternatives and problems that may be encountered (four-page limit)
- A budget for the proposed study
- A letter of support from a faculty mentor
- Two additional letters of recommendation from SMS members
- Documentation regarding other available funds (if any) supporting the proposed project, cosigned by the mentor
Application Review and Selection Process
Applications are competitive and open to all relevant institutions and candidates in the geographic region of SMSNA and in the therapeutic area of Men’s Health. All applications will be evaluated by a peer review panel of expert physician-scientists and researchers. All funding decisions will be approved by the Executive Committee of the SMSNA Foundation.