SMSNA Foundation Call for Applications is open - Deadline March 31, 2017
The Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA) proudly announces “The SMSNA Pfizer Fellowship in Men’s Health.” The purpose of the fellowship program is to support clinical and or basic research in men’s sexual health and foster development of expertise in field of men’s health. The funding is intended to supplement post-doctoral research activities and conference participation to present those activities.
- Applications will be accepted only from members of the SMSNA in good standing, who must be in compliance with SMSNA Disclosure Policy.
- Applications will be accepted from post-docs in training.
- Proof of institutional support for salaries and benefits should be provided at the time of application (letter from Department Chair, Dean or Designated Institutional Officer).
- For MD’s, a medical license valid in the United States or Canada and proof of satisfactory completion of residency training are required.
- For all human Research, IRB number and approval must be documented. Pre clinical animal research should be reviewed and approved my the ACAR at funding institution.
Distribution of Funds
Awards will be paid to the sponsoring institution (medical school, hospital, university). Awards can’t be paid directly to the successful applicant or mentor. Funds will be payable in two annual installments available for distribution on or about July 1, 2017 and January 1, 2018. The SMSNA Foundation does not withhold taxes from the stipends (i.e., federal withholding, social security, local or state taxes, etc.). It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that appropriate federal and local taxes are accounted for.
Allowable expenses include: research supplies, lab overhead expenses, statistical consultation, and logistical support for the assessment and care of research subjects or animals. All awards must be used for the direct expenses of the program and can’t be used to cover a salary for a position or activities that bill patient services.
Applicants are required to submit:
- A completed application form by the specified deadline.
- Biosketch and Career Plan (five-page limit)
- Abstract (300 words limit)
- A detailed description of the research question divided into 4 sections, addressing the specific aims of the research, the background of the problem being addressed, preliminary data, and an outline of the proposed investigation including potential alternatives and problems that may be encountered. (four-page limit)
- A letter of support from a faculty mentor
- Two additional letters of recommendation from SMS members.
- Include a budget for the proposed study.
- Provide documentation regarding other available funds (if any) supporting the proposed project, cosigned by the mentor.
Application Review and Selection Process
Applications are competitive and open to all relevant institutions and candidates in the geographic region of SMSNA and in the therapeutic are of Men’s Health. All applications will be evaluated by a peer review panel of expert physician-scientists and researchers - the SMSNA Fellowship and Residency Education Committee. All funding decisions must be approved by the Executive Committee of the SMSNA Foundation.
Completed applications should be sent to the SMSNA Executive Office (email@example.com).