SMSNA Foundation Research Grants
Submission deadline: August 31, 2023
Maximum award amount is $25,000
Award term: October 1, 2023 - September 30, 2024
The SMSNA Foundation is committed to advancement in the field of sexual medicine and mentorship of the next generation of sexual medicine specialists. To further this goal, the Foundation sponsors grant funding in the following three areas:
- Dyadic/Couples' Issues in Sexual Medicine
- Sexual Health Disparities and Diversity/Equity/Inclusion in Sexual Medicine
- Sexual Wellness and Dysfunction
A single award is granted in each category.
- SMSNA member in good standing.
- Resides in the United States or Canada.
- Conducts clinical or basic research within the designated topic area(s).
- Has completed required and appropriate research training and obtained Institutional Review Board and/or Animal Use Committee review for the proposed research
Funding and Distribution of Funds:
Allowable expenses include research supplies, statistical consultation, and logistical support for the assessment and care of research subjects or animals. All awards must be used for the direct expenses of the program and may not be used to cover a salary for a position or activities that bill patient services. Overhead expenses are not allowable.
Awards will be paid to the sponsoring institution (medical school, hospital, university). Awards will not be paid directly to the successful applicant or mentor. Funds will be payable in two annual installments available for distribution, half upon commencement of the award period, and final payment upon completion of a mid-term report and approval by the Research and Awards Committee. The SMSNA Foundation does not withhold taxes from the stipends (i.e., federal withholding, social security, local or state taxes, etc.). It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that appropriate federal and local taxes are accounted for.
Complete online application with the following documents.
Applications will require the following attachments:
- A summary statement of 1-3 sentences detailing the importance of the work and how it aligns with the priorities of the SMSNA
- Bio sketch (1000-word limit)
- Career plan (500-word limit)
- Research abstract (300-word limit)
- Detailed description of research (2000-word limit) divided into four sections:
- Specific aims of the research
- Background of the problem being addressed
- Preliminary research data
- Outline of proposed investigation, including potential alternatives and problems that may be confronted
- Optional: Please describe in a single paragraph how your project addresses issues of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in sexual medicine
- Budget, including documentation regarding other available funds (if any) supporting the proposed project
- Proof of institutional support for salaries and Benefit
- Applicant CV
- A letter of support from a faculty mentor for the project who is a also an SMSNA member
- A second letter of support from an SMSNA member
Application Review and Selection Process:
Applications are competitive and open to all relevant institutions and eligible candidates in the geographic region of SMSNA. All applications will be evaluated by a peer review panel of expert physician-scientists and researchers. All funding decisions will be approved by the Board of the SMSNA and SMSNA Foundation.
Funding priority is for projects that address human sexuality, sexual wellness, and gender identity. Research on fertility, gender-based medicine, or other topics not directly related to sexuality will be considered but will be given lower priority for funding.”
The Sexual Medicine Society of North American values the concepts of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Projects that address sexuality issues in historically undeserved populations will be given special consideration even outside the DEI specific grant category.
Post Award Requirements:
- Awardees will be required to submit an abstract based on their research to the SMSNA Annual Fall Scientific Meeting, following the award term. All accepted abstracts are published in a special edition of the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
- Awardees are required to submit manuscripts, videos, or other material based on the supported research and intended for dissemination to an ISSM affiliated journal (ie The Journal of Sexual Medicine, Sexual Medicine, Sexual Medicine Reviews, or the Video Journal of Prosthetic Urology) prior to submission to any other journal. If the material is not accepted by the ISSM affiliated journal it may be submitted to a non-ISSM affiliated journal.
- The SMSNA will be credited as a sponsor in any presentations and publications that result from the research project.
Sexual Medicine with a focus on the Couples' Perspective
Chiara Acquati, PhD, LMSW, MSc
Sexual Health Outcomes of AYA Colorectal Cancer Survivors and Their Partners: Understanding the Role of Interpersonal Processes to Develop a Couple-Based Intervention
Female Sexual Dysfunction
Alyssa Yee, MD
A Single Center Analysis of Immunohistochemical Staining of Pathology Specimens and Patient Outcomes in Women with Neuroproliferative Vestibulodynia
Open (any sexual health field)
Shannon Smith, MD, MPH
Sexual Function after Genital Gender-Affirming Surgery