SMSNA Foundation Research Grants
Submission deadline: August 15, 2021 (submission will open June 15, 2021)
Maximum award amount is $25,000
Award term: October 1, 2021 - September 30, 2022
One of the main goals of the SMSNA Foundation is to advance research in the field of sexual medicine and to mentor the next generation of sexual medicine specialists. Through this new research grants program, the Foundation is offering three awards in the following areas:
- Sexual Medicine with a focus on the Couples' Perspective
- Female Sexual Dysfunction
- Open (any sexual health field)
- Applications will be accepted only from SMSNA members in good standing.
- Applications will be accepted from post-docs in training.
- Proof of institutional support for salaries and benefits should be provided at the time of application (letter from Department Chair, Dean or Designated Institutional Officer).
- For all human research, IRB number and approval must be documented. Pre-clinical animal research should be reviewed and approved by the ACAR at funding institution.
Funding and Distribution of Funds:
Allowable expenses include research supplies, statistical consultation, and logistical support for the assessment and care of research subjects or animals. All awards must be used for the direct expenses of the program and may not be used to cover a salary for a position or activities that bill patient services. Overhead expenses are not allowable.
Awards will be paid to the sponsoring institution (medical school, hospital, university). Awards will not be paid directly to the successful applicant or mentor. Funds will be payable in two annual installments available for distribution, half upon commencement of the award period, and final payment upon completion of a mid-term report and approval by the Research and Awards Committee. The SMSNA Foundation does not withhold taxes from the stipends (i.e., federal withholding, social security, local or state taxes, etc.). It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that appropriate federal and local taxes are accounted for.
Complete online application with the following documents (so please have these ready prior to submission).
- Proof of institutional support for salaries and benefits
- Preliminary research data
- Outline of proposed investigation including potential alternatives and problems that may be confronted.
- Budget, including documentation regarding other available funds (if any) supporting the proposed project.
Other required documentation:
- A letter of support from a faculty mentor
- Two additional letters of support* from SMSNA members
*Letters of support can be submitted directly to SMSNA via the following link: https://smsna.secure-platform.com:443/a/solicitations/13/home
Alternatively, letters can be submitted as attachments to the application.
Applicants will also be required to submit the following information:
- Bio-sketch (max 500 words)
- Research experience (max 1000 words)
- Career plan (max 1000 words)
- Research abstract (max 300 words)
- Detailed description of the specific aims of the research (max 500 words)
- Background of the problem/question being addressed(max 500 words)
Application Review and Selection Process:
Applications are competitive and open to all relevant institutions and eligible candidates in the geographic region of SMSNA. All applications will be evaluated by a peer review panel of expert physician-scientists and researchers. All funding decisions will be approved by the Board of the SMSNA and SMSNA Foundation.