Findings on Location and Severity of Pain After Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Surgery

Findings on Location and Severity of Pain After Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Surgery

Avery Braun, DO, presented new research on the location and severity of postoperative pain for patients who have undergone inflatable penile prosthesis implantation during the first Erectile Dysfunction Surgical Abstract Session of the SMSNA Annual Fall Scientific Meeting.

The aims of the study were to determine where in the penis and scrotum patients feel pain after surgery, how severe the pain is, how effective multimodal analgesia (MMA) is in lessening pain, and whether surgical approach can impact pain profiles for patients. Through an extensive self-report questionnaire that addressed each of these areas, the researchers found that while patients felt pain in the scrotum after surgery, this area accounted for approximately 40% of pain patients reported feeling. The remaining 60% was felt in the glans penis, the shaft, and the incision location. MMA was determined to be an effective means of pain management and demonstrated decreases in pain for the study participants. Surgical approach did not appear to have a significant impact on the pain profiles of the patients, though further research would help to shed light on this matter.

Other Popular Articles

What Is Jelqing, and Does It Actually Work?

The term “jelqing” refers to a set of penis stretching exercises that some believe can make the penis bigger. Although the practice has gained attention and popularity in blogs and internet forums in recent years, there is no scientific evidence that it is an effective way to permanently increase the size of one’s penis. In fact, in some cases, jelqing may actually cause damage to the penis, so it is a good idea to get all the facts before setting off to try it.

What Is the Average Penis Size?

If you have ever wondered how your penis compares to others in terms of size, you are not alone. Many men are curious to know how their penises stack up compared to the average. Unfortunately, general curiosity can sometimes give way to full-on obsession and anxiety about penis size. This can be an unhealthy and often unnecessary fixation, especially because most men who think their penises are too small have perfectly normal-sized penises.

What Is Sensate Focus and How Does It Work?

Sensate focus is a technique used to improve intimacy and communication between partners around sex, reduce sexual performance anxiety, and shift away from ingrained, goal-oriented sexual patterns that may not be serving a couple.

What Is Edging and Why Do People Do It?

Edging is the practice of stopping sexual stimulation before reaching orgasm to prolong a sexual experience. The term stems from the concept of approaching the metaphorical “edge” of orgasm but stopping before going over the edge.

Can Sex Reduce Menstrual Cramps?

The SMSNA periodically receives and publishes ‘guest editorials.’ The current article was submitted by Mia Barnes, a freelance writer and researcher who specializes in women's health, wellness, and healthy living. She is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Body+Mind Magazine.

Having sex while you experience menstrual cramps is healthy and can provide significant benefits. While it might not be the first activity that comes to mind when your PMS or period cramping begins, many people enjoy sex to reduce menstrual cramps, experience increased pleasure and benefit from other advantages. Learn more about having sex while menstrual cramps are happening and how it can help your body.

Can Sex Throw off Your Vaginal pH Balance?

The SMSNA periodically receives and publishes ‘guest editorials.’ The current article was submitted by Mia Barnes, a freelance writer and researcher who specializes in women's health, wellness, and healthy living. She is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Body+Mind Magazine.

Your vagina is a pretty powerful organ. It is a pathway for menstrual blood and babies. It also is a main player in sexual intercourse. You might hear about your vagina’s pH and worry that yours is at risk. Here’s what to know about vaginal pH, including the impacts sex could have.

Find a Provider

Find a provider who specializes in sexual medicine in your area.

FIND NOW

Subscribe for our Newsletter!

Image